Scott Breen, Cans and Beyond: Sustainability and the Circular Economy
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
6:00pm - 8:00pm
West End Public Library
2301 L St NW
About Scott Breen
Scott Breen is the Vice President of Sustainability at the Can Manufacturers Institute (CMI), which represents U.S. can manufacturers and suppliers. His responsibilities include promoting the can as a sustainable/circular package, leading the industry’s efforts to increase the recycling rate of the beverage can, and making sure waste management policies do not disadvantage the can.
Scott’s role prior to CMI was Associate Manager of the Sustainability and Circular Economy Program at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Program. In that role, he was the lead project manager for the Chamber Foundation’s Beyond 34 recycling initiative. He also developed a variety of events, resources, trainings, and reports to increase understanding of key circular economy and sustainability issues. Scott Breen started his career as an attorney-advisor at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Outside of work, Scott explores various aspects of sustainability as the creator and co-host of the podcast SustainabilityDefined. His podcast defines sustainability one concept (and one bad joke) at a time. The podcast can be found via all podcast outlets and its website.
Scott holds a BA from Georgetown University. and a JD and MPA from Indiana University. He also has a Social Entrepreneurship Certificate and is a TRUE Zero Waste Advisor.
Joining an Envirorun Event
- Envirorun will meet at West End Public Library (NEW LOCATION) before going out on the fun run at 6:00 PM. There will be a place to store bags while runners are on the trails. After the run, we will return to the venue for networking and hear from the speaker at 7:00 pm. Non-runners welcome to join!
- Envirorunners may store personal belongings, at your own risk, before the start of the Envirorun at the host location. The room will be monitored during the run, but again, please note that the host location and/or the Envirorun are not liable for theft or damage.
- The Envirorun will provide a safety and route briefing before the runners begin, but Envirorun and/or the event sponsors are not liable for injury or damage caused because of participation in the fun run.
- The networking session following the run is designed to provide an opportunity for connecting with the environmental community, with food and drink available for purchase.
- We welcome you to wear your best enviro shirt and share #envirorun photos on Twitter (@envirorun) and Facebook (Envirorun). Prizes go to the top tweeters!